Offsite Links
 This Site:
 About Amerikanska
 Privacy Policy
 Contact Admin

Search

Amerikanska: Forums

Amerikanska -- View topic - A little facts about religions in Sweden

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 

Amerikanska Forum Index -> Life in Sweden

A little facts about religions in Sweden

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ann
stor stark
stor stark

A little facts about religions in Sweden

Since it was mentioned in another post, I thought these Trivial Pursuit type facts could be interesting.

I have not collected the facts myself, it was presented to us, at a class at uni in Intercultural communication, by a religion history researcher (Jonathan Preste)

About religions in Sweden:

150 –200 000 islam (sunni and others)
120 000 catholics – several different catholic communions
20 000 christian assyrians
10 000 jewish – 2 synagogs in Gbg
10 000 bahai
10 000 buddists – (a Shaolin tempel up until 1998 in Gbg)
some 1 000 zoroastrians/parser
800 sikhs
a less number of hindu
different orthodox – (ex a serbian orthodox church in Gbg)
anglicans – at least one church in Gbg

The lecture's angle was concerning multicultural society and I think he was trying out a thesis on us.
I really don't know why he didn't even mention figures concerning our Swedish church or frikyrkor.
Well, there you go, persons are not alone in this country.

(do correct my attempt of English translation of the facts)

Post Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:17 pm 
Nallebjorn
riktig Svensson
riktig Svensson

Where are the Presbyterians or Protestants
And what religion is the state church?

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:32 pm 
debbie
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

The Swedish church is Lutheran.

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:33 pm 
Nallebjorn
riktig Svensson
riktig Svensson

Thanks Debbie, that is exactly what I though it was. I also don't notice Lutheran on that list?????

Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:41 pm 
lillalala
riktig Svensson
riktig Svensson

7.3 million Swedes are registered with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sweden, but only 4% attend regularly, compared with 43% of Americans attending regularly. I just wrote a paper on religion in Sweden for my Swedish Society class. Very Happy

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:18 am 
Ann
stor stark
stor stark

Pango, I have met one rasta here (non-Swede), so there is at least one. Perhaps certain Swedish laws conflict with parts of rasta traditions?

He left out the anglican church as well, so it was me informing him about its existance, one nearby tax.auth here in Gbg, also the Shaolins tempel since I was doing kung fu there. I think there is a taoist group as well, but more gathered around tai chi pratice. There is also a place called Ursprungskällan in Halland, south of Gothenburg, very devoted to the native north americans and their tribes, traditions, customs etc. They usually have an anual fest, which I've been to. Moreover, he left out the samic too.

The 10 000 bahai, was a surprise to me, mainly because I don't know what their belief is, and I thought bahai stems from India area somewhere.

Perhaps the lecturer/researcher left out all the protestantic, since he thought we just would take it for granted, since we were in Sweden ?

I don't think the frikyrkorna is one and the same? (non-conformist churches?). As far as I know, there is Missionskyrkan, Pingstkyrkan, Smyrnakyrkan, Metodistkyrkan. Don't now if Jehova, mormons, and others should be counted in as non-conformists? In Bohuslän, north of Gothenburg, there are some called *spartanska*. Perhaps more similar to puritans? The non-conformist churches has their own history and development in Sweden. Sort of as a second reformation in Sweden after protestantism-lutheranism *reformation*.

I have something else saying about Methodism, it stems from 1738 from the englishmen Wesley and Whitefield and came to Sweden around 1830. Quakers are called kväkare, also said to stem from an englishman, George Fox, around 1650. I have never heard of a kväkarkyrka in Sweden though. I think presbytarians is what is called kalvinister here.
Are methodists, quakers and presbytarians perhaps the same or similar??

There is a contemporary methodist minister, nearby Jönköping (I think) that has *banned* Halloween here in Sweden. Is that a common thing in US?? I remember Salem, MA, was an interesting place during Halloween.

Another thing about Sweden, *we* were actually catholic first. The town church where I live (outside Gothenburg), is built in a catholic way. It's from year 1200 or around there, way before the reformation and the *nation* Sweden was a nation. It was for world politician/power reasons one of the kings (don't know which of them) and court meddlers (they really were meddling a lot) shifted us to lutheranism as *state religion*.

7.3 million Swedes registered in the state church, but only 4 % attending on a regular base (assuming in Svenska kyrkan only?)- yeah, we are baptised after birth into the church. Why do you think we scream during the ceremony Smile Perhaps the 43 % in US had a different choice when babies?

lillalala, what was your conclusion (in the paper)?

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:27 am 
Ann
stor stark
stor stark

Perhaps the 7.3 million *Swedes* (Evangelic Lutheran Church) get a different perspective in comparison with other information he had gathered from Migrationsverkets statistics (I think it was the statistics) My swenglish translation again:

"In Sweden today, 2003, we have 1 million overseas born. That is more in percentage than even USA.

300 000 are from Norden (Nordic countries)
300 000 are from Europe
75 000 are from North-, South America
75 000 are from Asia, Middle East
55 000 are from Africa"

Is the population some what 9 millions in Sweden? (hm, tiny population in comparison with US Smile )

But 4 % of 7.3 million becomes 292 000 regular attenders (in Svenska kyrkan, Evangelic Lutheran Church?)

So it changes the first amounts to:

292 000 evangelic lutheran church
150 –200 000 islam (sunni and others)
120 000 catholics
20 000 christian assyrians
10 000 jewish
10 000 bahai
10 000 buddists
some 1 000 zoroastrians/parser
800 sikhs
a less number of hindu
different orthodox – (ex a serbian orthodox church in Gbg)
anglicans

Compared to the other figures it seem almost *normal* with 4 % attending svenska kyrkan regularly?

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:16 am 
rlevitte
riktig Svensson
riktig Svensson

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Another thing about Sweden, *we* were actually catholic first.

Back in the dark ages, that was the only official Christian religion. Martin Luther was born in 1483 and made his proclamation (eh, nailed the 95 Theses on the door if the castle church) in 1517, so before that, there was no Lutheran church.

Ref: http://www.luther.de/en/leben.html

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ann
stor stark
stor stark

Martin Luther was just one reformer, Calvin another. Zwigli a third.

Why didn't Sweden (the king et al) confess to calvinism instead of lutheranism? Technically it could have gone either way? Why not orthodox as in Russia? (I think a Swede was wedded to a guy over there starting of the emperor tradition?) and west Rome was long gone by the time of Luther, and east Rome had just fallen, so east Rome Christian orthodox could have been a choice. Technically Smile

I went off to read about bahains and zoroastrians/parsers.
Bahains seem similar in development to ahmadiyyas which kindly invited me to their mosque here (an islamic branch included in muslims above), with major differences as this:
Bahai from Shiraz, south Persia and Teheran, was founded in 1844 with the qur'an and shia texts as foundation. 1889 in Ludhiana, Punjab, India, Ahmadiyyas was founded, with the qur'an, the sunna and hadith as foundation. Emigrated from India to Pakistan when it was constituted as a country. Ahmadiyyas founder, Hadhrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, is claimed as the awaited Messias and Mahdi(?) so everything has been fulfilled, and bahains Bahá'ulláh is claimed as the God-manifestation (Messias/Mahdi?). The latter have a large tempel in Haifa, Israel almost looking like Taj Mahal ( ?). Ahmadiyyas are still muslims and bahains are not. At least it's the way I understood it.

No offense with this, but I remember from the mormons here, their founder got his mission sometime during 18?? something. (also kindly invited me to their churches/tempel. I like to learn about similarities and differences)
Perhaps 18-hundred, was the century for second *reformations* a little here and there around the world?

Zoroastrians/parsers are very old, from around the Oxus river area around 1767 BC (give and take), and at a point Persia's state religion, before Alexander the Great (christian) trashed Persia and their Persifoles (in rage for Xerxes destruction of Athens), and then year 632(?) the arabics came with islam and ruined other parts of the book Avesta. The creator of the world and all good things is Ahurumazda, Lord of Wisdom. They had *fire* tempels, keeping an eternal fire burning ( I like that expression, eternal fire). Did they become surpressed after the last shah was chased out by Khomeini?
If then both bahai and zoroastrians are from the Persian area, maybe it isn't such surprising numbers, due to having to leave Iran?

I think there is a celebration of the Persian new year, a fire/light fest or so, in northern Gothenburg. Perhaps it's not parsers conducting it.

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:09 am 
lillalala
riktig Svensson
riktig Svensson

Ann, I actually wrote the paper to try and argue that perhaps the different religions in Sweden and the US were the causes of the different economic and political systems. Not quite on topic here. Very Happy

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:18 am 
Tess
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

I noticed that every time our building has a cleanup day, it's on Sunday morning... I guess they don't expect people to be in church at that time...

Tess

Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:56 pm 
Ellen

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Quakers are called kväkare, also said to stem from an englishman, George Fox, around 1650. I have never heard of a kväkarkyrka in Sweden though. I think presbytarians is what is called kalvinister here.
Are methodists, quakers and presbytarians perhaps the same or similar??

There is a contemporary methodist minister, nearby Jönköping (I think) that has *banned* Halloween here in Sweden. Is that a common thing in US?? I remember Salem, MA, was an interesting place during Halloween.

There was a thread last week (?) about Quakers in Sweden and it would seem that there is a meeting house in Stockholm. If you do a search for Quaker in the title, you'll find it.

I don't think Quakers are like Methodists or Presbyterians. I can't speak for the differences between Methodists and Presbyterians though.

It would be very UNcommon to ban Halloween in the US.

No Amish or Mennonites, or anything like that in Sweden, is there? I would be very surprised.

Ellen

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ann
stor stark
stor stark

I found the thread, Ellen. About quakers. So yet another one he left out. What a lousy "forskare" Smile

No, concerning Amish, haven't met any here yet. It be a nice thing though, and there is a old horse parkinglot not too far away from where the oldest synagog is in Gothenburg. On the street along the city canal, but further up towards Kungsportsplatsen.

I am not sure about Mennonites, I never heard the name before.
I'll check info.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:10 pm 
Ann
stor stark
stor stark

I checked this link www.800padutch.com/amish.html

If they want to come and settle in Sweden, I personally would say they are welcome. I think they would like the Halland area, many farm houses and land, less people and less stress.

Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:23 pm 
ChiroLisa
riktig Svensson
riktig Svensson

Hey, there were 7 quakers at one meeting for worship in Stockholm.

Lisa

- _Expression of the People of Timor

Post Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules:
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Page Generation: 0.16 Seconds