Offsite Links
 This Site:
 About Amerikanska
 Privacy Policy
 Contact Admin

Search

Amerikanska: Forums

Amerikanska -- View topic - coconut

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 

Amerikanska Forum Index -> Food and Cooking

coconut

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Neitha
stor stark
stor stark

coconut

Ever since that post about American coconut at the 10 kr. store I have been obsessed with getting some. I think the original poster was from Malmö so I was certain I would find it near me-- Helsingborg. Nope, after two different Göfab stores....all I find is that dried yucky Swedish stuff......but it was 2 for 10 kr. !!!!!! How disappointing!

Post Wed May 07, 2003 6:47 am 
Transplanted
stor stark
stor stark

Hey Neitha, if you ever find it, please let us all know where.
The poster that recommended the GoFab store did say that she thought the coconut might not be a "regular" item.
That's par for the course for us coconut seekers.
Thanks,
Cheryl
It may seem easier to trust friends, since they are there for you every day, while values are much more abstract. But the friend who insults your values is telling you it's time to choose.......Carolyn Hax

Post Wed May 07, 2003 6:52 am 
danyetta
Nybörjare

is there coconut milk at all there? I'm going to be an exchange student and i decided to bring some Tongan recipes as my "uncle" is from there and I think it would be cool to bring 2 cultures instead of just one. ... but i need coconut milk to make my favorite one. please say yes!!!

Post Mon May 12, 2003 2:07 am 
Kimberly
swedish meatball
swedish meatball

Yes! Most stores have a little asian section and there you can find coconut milk.

Post Mon May 12, 2003 6:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Pearly
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

What is the difference between shredded coconut here and what we get in the US? I am not a coconut fan so I was bad and didn't pay attention to the info from the 'old' site. Embarassed

There was an old cookie recipe that my family has made for years that contained coconut and Hartshorn. It was hard to find that last ingredient unless you got lucky and a pharmacy had it. Bad thing was that it looked like a crack rock and you had to grind it up. Stuff smells like amonium. I know, doesn't sound appealing but the cookies are really good!! As luck has it I mentioned that cookie to my Swede and he recognized the Hartshorn and we found it at Coop. Now I want to make some cookies!!!

Can anyone educate me?? I'll gladly share the recipe or maybe even a few cookies for fika!!

Post Sun May 18, 2003 8:12 pm 
Pearly
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

I really, REALLY, want to bake those cookies. Does anyone know of where to get the soft coconut we Americans are used to or how to make the dry stuff they have here work?

Thanks!

Post Sat May 24, 2003 12:41 am 
greeneyedtxn
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

Some people have said you can soak the swedish coconut it in coconut milk but I have never tried it personally. I think they have regular coconut at grays.

Coconut is one of the things I forgot to bring when I visited home last month. I might have to get someone to send me some because I am craving Hello Dolly Bars!

Post Sat May 24, 2003 11:35 am 
Pearly
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

Thanks, I had a feeling that soaking it in coconut milk was probably the only option besides selling a kidney to buy some at Grays. I'll be in Stockholm Wednesday, anyone want to go coconut shopping? Razz

Post Sat May 24, 2003 1:08 pm 
Sandy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Location: currently: Dalsland, Västra Götaland, previously: Wisconsin and California

quote:
Originally posted by greeneyedtxn:
I might have to get someone to send me some because I am craving Hello Dolly Bars!

I just have to ask... What are Hello Dolly Bars???

Post Sat May 24, 2003 1:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
greeneyedtxn
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

They are also called 7 layer bars or something like that I think.... I can post the exact recipe later if you want, but on the bottom layer is butter, then graham cracker crumbs (or digestives) then coconut, chocolate chips and condensed milk. Oh and pecans or some other nuts. And you bake it and it makes a tasty bar.

Post Sat May 24, 2003 3:39 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: