By Topic
 Offsite Links
 This Site:
 About Amerikanska
 Privacy Policy
 Contact Admin

Search

Amerikanska: Forums

Amerikanska -- View topic - US legal documents notarized by Swedish Notarius Publicus?

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 

Amerikanska Forum Index -> Life in Sweden

US legal documents notarized by Swedish Notarius Publicus?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
chibi
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

US legal documents notarized by Swedish Notarius Publicus?

Anyone done this? Or does for example US court or attorney issued legal documents with regards to a will, executor of a will, etc need to be notarized at the embassy? What is your experience. Will check into it with the embassy, Swedish Notarius Publicus as well as the stateside attorney, but am interested to hear of others experiences in similar situations.

The US legal documents will be used in the US after being notarized, either at the embassy or by a Swedish notary public. However, would like to avoid having to go to the embassy if possible.

TIA

~ Maurice Sendak ~

Well, except when it comes to strollers, potties & TRACTORS I guess... Wink

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
callie-girl
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

Chibi, last I heard, it depended on exactly what the papers are for.

In *some* cases, it was required that the notary be American, so a trip to the embassy is in order. Memory says that was a real estate deal, so the Swedish notarius publicus was not acceptable.

In other cases, it's a matter of making sure there is some type of official stamp. The one we had for JT giving me power of attorney for his dealings inside the USA was done in Sweden, he used a notarius publicus and it was never questioned.

I suggest you contact whomever will use the paperwork and see if they have a requirement - that will be the deciding factor for you.

my 2 cents' worth. Smile

edited to add: for my Mom's will which has some really weird notations on it, her attorney didn't even want me *thinking* about getting my signature on those attachments notarized anywhere except within the USA.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:52 am 
chibi
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

Thanks for sharing your experiences Callie-girl. It is with regards to a fairly "simple or standard" will. We'll see what happens. Always interesting to know others experiences. Smile

~ Maurice Sendak ~

Well, except when it comes to strollers, potties & TRACTORS I guess... Wink

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules:
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Page Generation: 0.16 Seconds