By Topic
 Offsite Links
 This Site:
 About Amerikanska
 Privacy Policy
 Contact Admin

Search

Amerikanska: Forums

Amerikanska -- View topic - Balcony gardening?

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 

Amerikanska Forum Index -> Miscellaneous

Balcony gardening?

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Tess
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

Balcony gardening?

Anyone have a garden on the balcony? What are you planning to plant this year?

Last year we only put stuff out there halfway through the growing season, and this year I want to start earlier. The nasturtiums did well but various other things didn't. I think I also need to go with plants that are more forgiving if you forget to water them often enough.

What have you guys had success with?

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:45 pm 
cgold
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

Hi,

When we lived in an appartment with good sun exposure we had tomatos. I think they were planted before I got here in July, but I cannot remember.
Our patio had good windblockag I think that helped.

cgold

Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:50 pm 
DKelly
riktig Svensson
riktig Svensson

What garden zone is Sweden in?

Also, is there a good Swedish gardening website that shows me photos of plants and flowers that people grow there for summer? I have seen most plants in gardens there as I have seen here, so it's not that different, so here are some ideas...

Add some herbs to the containers, some flower, but they had some lush fullness and variation to the pots, plus you can pinch some off for eating.

Nasturtiums are the ultimate summer flower to me. Here, if you grow them enmass, they attract humming birds and huge bumble bee's. Can't get enough of those babies.

Those red geraniums are usually forgiving if you forget to water them and they look nice paired with the Nasturtiums. The red ones are the hardiest, but they have hybridized them to come in softer colours like white, and shades of pink.

Some small roses do nice in pots, but they would require a steady attention to having a drink.

For my containers, I put up an awning or an umbrella durning the hotest parts of the days, or if I will be a way for a long time that day. If they are protected, they won't get their water sapped out so rapidly.

Im in Boston, Mass so we can get some long steamy weeks, and containers really need to be attended too. In Sweden, the container gardens have a fighting chance to grow lush and beautiful without having to endure heavy heat.

What kind of containers are you using? What sizes? Let me know, I also design small gardens and theme gardens.

If I can figure out how to decrease their size, I will post some photos of some window boxes and containers I did last summer... and right now the cat is screaming for breakfast and I am starving...

oohhmmmmmmm!!!

A PBS mind in an MTV world.......

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Calle
Nybörjare

DKelly, here are some gardening zones. Not sure if this is what you mean.

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:25 pm 
DKelly
riktig Svensson
riktig Svensson

Calle, that is exactly what I meant. Thanks Laughing They grade different obviously, but I have explored this in the past and I think Sweden's zones I,II and III are similar to zones 5 and 6 to Northeast region of US. Even tho Sweden has a shorter growing season, but longer days, both places can have pretty much the same plants.

((OOpps sorry cat is all over keyboard thanking me for the bounty I just dished out of a can for her breakfast...its a ritual....she's so damned grateful!!)) Laughing

Here are some photos of things I did last summer. I like to experiment so I'll pretty much put anything into a container. I put in slow acting food, but still feed alot during height of summer, and I also add in those rubbery water retaining pellets. I mulch the containers with buckwheat hulls as they are pretty and keep the soil neautral. Bark mulches take up too much space in a container and can create too much acid in the soil. Thats fine for alpine plants, but not for anything tropical like most annuals;

Hers an interesting little website I just stumbled in on about container gardening...

http://beginnersguide.com/lawn-garden/container-gardening/

The plant zone maps are on here as well....

The whole site is really nice, and I see no reason many of the ideas can't be used in Sweden. Wink

D'oh I'm having a brain fart this morning so I'll have to figure out how to upload some photos... Rolling Eyes

Happy Gardening!!

DK

oohhmmmmmmm!!!

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Adia
stor stark
stor stark

I LOVE container gardening.

Pretty much all that I have done over the past several years.

This will be my first year here in Sweden. (came from Indiana)

I am just amazed at all the different plants and flowers here! I have only recognized some plants here from what we used in the USA. But I have seen so many different things here, I am really looking forward to using them.

They were Azaleas, Geraniums, Daffodils, Tulips, Hyacinth, Roses, Begonias and Pansies.

I am really looking into growing more veggies then just tomatoes, as I have in the past.

I am wanting to consider growing onions (not green onion), but I don't know if I would be able to, since it probably would take up too much space. And garlic...I have never seen garlic grown and don't know if it is even possible to grow in containers here.

We use alot of those things, so I thought it would be good to plant things we use alot of.

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
DKelly
riktig Svensson
riktig Svensson

quote:
Originally posted by Adia:

I am wanting to consider growing onions (not green onion), but I don't know if I would be able to, since it probably would take up too much space. And garlic...I have never seen garlic grown and don't know if it is even possible to grow in containers here.

We use alot of those things, so I thought it would be good to plant things we use alot of.

Adia, yes plant with what you are used to and use alot. Onions and garlic, the Seeds of Italy are easy to grow. I never tried containers, but I am sure you can do that. I used to grow them both for flower and for food. They are a bulb, so you would plant them like a daffodil bulb, with the root systems down. On onions, you can see the dried roots. When that is in the ground, the roots will start become actice. On the garlic, the pointy ends go up and the fat bottom part goes down. Each garlic glove is a bulb. Ever see the green part that grow out of garlic when you have had it for awhile? The garlic goes bitter because it is growing. You can plant that!

They make beautiful flowers! They are in the Allum family so there are many different types than just the ones we know! Chives, leeks and shallots are all related. If you grow garlic or onions as food, you have to clip the plant before it flowers. If you grow them as flowers, just let them grow. I used to grow tham in my herb garden. Grow them with basils and thyme, and think of grilling, pestos, ratatuille ( we call it "Rat Soup"), salads....mmmm

Here is a site I just found about it. It has illustrations and info about growing them!

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-411/426-411.html

http://gardening.wsu.edu/column/09-29-02.htm

DK

oohhmmmmmmm!!!

Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:48 pm 
ncstef
Nybörjare

Adia, have you seen Azaleadalen (the Azalea valley) in Slottsskogen? That and Botaniska Trädgården is definitely worth checking out in a couple of months. Smile Botaniska has an area called Rhododendrondalen that I think is pretty amazing.

Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:27 pm 
vejbystrand
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

Tess ....
thought you might be interested in the following two links. You can order catalogs online. I have bought numerous seed from both suppliers over the years. raravaxter.com's catalog is in Swedish (faster delivery), however both catalogs offer common names as well as latin names for plant/seed identification. Thompson&Morgan is (their words, and I believe it) the world's largest seed catalog, filled with lots of pics and plants from around the world with a bit of information on best growing conditions. Also has a section for balcony/potted plants and vegetables, a must have if you love gardening. Both places offer standard seeds of plants as well as those that are harder to find than the typical, found in most gardening stores.

http://www.raravaxter.com/
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk

wish you luck

Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Tess
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

Thanks! After this weekend's massive blizzard it is nice to look forward to a little lazy gardening!

Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:11 pm 
Adia
stor stark
stor stark

quote:
Originally posted by ncstef:
Adia, have you seen Azaleadalen (the Azalea valley) in Slottsskogen? That and Botaniska Trädgården is definitely worth checking out in a couple of months. Smile Botaniska has an area called Rhododendrondalen that I think is pretty amazing.

No I haven't....at least not yet. But I am looking forward to it!

I just LOVE azaleas!

Thanks DK for the link and the info! Looks like I won't be able to plant them until next fall.

I guess they need that cool down period.

Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
DKelly
riktig Svensson
riktig Svensson

quote:
Originally posted by Adia:

Thanks DK for the link and the info! Looks like I won't be able to plant them until next fall.

I guess they need that cool down period.

Check the garden centers, they may sell some that are already winterized and potted for this season.... Wink

oohhmmmmmmm!!!

Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:28 am 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules:
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Page Generation: 0.19 Seconds