Offsite Links
 This Site:
 About Amerikanska
 Privacy Policy
 Contact Admin

Search

Amerikanska: Forums

Amerikanska -- View topic - Driving License dilema

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 

Amerikanska Forum Index -> Life in Sweden

Driving License dilema

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
snickey
stor stark
stor stark

Driving License dilema

Ok, so I have lived in Europe for over 6 years now and silly me has let my US driving license expire without me even realizing it.

So, the question is, how easy is it to renew if/when I move back? Must I retake the whole F¤%&/()=?ing test again or will they just give me a renewal? Can I get one now, without actually living in the U.S.?

If you have any information I would greatly appreciate it.

Post Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:43 pm 
Sandy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Location: currently: Dalsland, Västra Götaland, previously: Wisconsin and California

Well, when I moved from WI to CA, I had to take the CA test, even though my WI license was valid. So, I'd guess that you will have to take the tests again, but that depends on the State, too.

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Fairydust
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

State to state is very different. ME, VT and MA just required your eye test and the proper money to switch over (one of them required you to retake the written part if your previous had expired, but I cant remember which one), whereas FL just required the cash and no tests even if your previous had expired or even revoked. Generally speaking, if you know which state you would get yours out of, you can check on their 'Department of Motor Vehicles' or whatever theirs is and check for the req's. Smile Good luck! Smile

--Michele

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:06 am 
Neitha
stor stark
stor stark

How long can you drive in the US using your Swedish driver's license? For example, you can drive in Sweden for one year after arriving.

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:38 am 
Fairydust
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

Neitha: Near as I can tell, it is a year too. A quick search came up with this:

"Foreign and International Licenses

NOTE:

Non-US citizens who wish to obtain a Learner Permit or Driver License must provide proof of valid legal presence in the United States for at least 180 days from the date of the Learner Permit or Driver License Issuance forward. Examples of acceptable proof include a Permanent Resident card (I-551), or a foreign passport with a US visa and I-94, showing class and expiration date. Further documentation may be required for some classes, such as students and exchange visitors. Any license or permit issued to a citizen of a foreign country shall expire coincidentally with his or her authorized duration of stay.

Foreign motorists from any of the countries listed as parties to the 1943 and 1949 Geneva Convention, who visit the United States as bona fide tourists, can drive legally for a period of not more than one year from the date of arrival. "

--Michele

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:53 am 
debbie
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

If you move to the US it is a different story.

I believe that is another issue that changes state to state. In Illinois, you need to get an Illinois license within 90 days.

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:48 pm 
WendyA
riktig Svensson
riktig Svensson

My CA license expired while I was here and I just called them and told them I was out of the country and they issued a new one after I paid 15 bucks.

As for how long you can drive in the US, if you are a resident of CA, I think you have 10 days to go in and take the test. I could be wrong, but you have to have a CA license to get CA insurance and you can't drive without insursance.

I'd just call whatever state you are from and ask them what to do.

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:58 pm 
Ellen

My Swedish husband could drive on his Swedish license legally for a year before he had to get a CT license, then he had to take all the tests, like a new driver.

It varies so much from state to state that you really ought to look up the place where your last license was issued. For example, I got my first license in ME, but by the time it was expiring, I'd moved to DC so I got a DC license (had to take the written and eye exams but not driving). When I moved back to ME, I went to the DMV and they said that since my last ME license had expired less than six years ago, I could just get a new one. A new picture and 18 dollars later, I was good to go for 6 years. I traded in the second ME license for CT one to the tune of $55 and an eye exam.

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
snickey
stor stark
stor stark

Thanks for all the advice. I will look up the rules and get started. I think I am within the two year expiration limit, so perhaps I only need to renew from here. I hope so.

Post Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:24 pm 
kamani
riktig Svensson
riktig Svensson

Location: now in Göteborg, Chicago, but originally a local from the islands of Hawaii (OAHU)
cool.. an interesting topic..

I moved from Honolulu to Chicago and all i had to do was take the written and an eye esam.. didn't have to do the driving exam over again..

my US DL will be expiring this coming novermber.. all i had to do to get a renewal is write to them and tell them about my situation, and that i will not be able to renew it in person because i am currently residing in Sweden.. they sent me an e-mail asking if i am going to live in Sweden permanetly or temporarily.. I just wrote back to them and tell them that I just wanted to renew my DL just in case things don't go as planned for me here in Sweden..To avoid having to do the whole thing over again, if ever i would decide to move back.. they incourage me to apply for this safe drivers renewal thing that they have where you can renew your DL via online, telphone, or even by mail.. and after doing so, they will then send me a renewal sticker for my DL via airmail..I've already done it and just waiting for my beautiful sticker..haha. good for another 4 years..

But keep in mind that in order for a person to apply for this.. One must have been driving for four years without any driving violations..and must also have a current US address like the one that you have on your DL...

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:34 pm 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules:
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Page Generation: 0.09 Seconds