Offsite Links
 This Site:
 About Amerikanska
 Privacy Policy
 Contact Admin

Search

Amerikanska: Forums

Amerikanska -- View topic - Darkness

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 

Amerikanska Forum Index -> Life in Sweden

Darkness

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
FatCat
swedish meatball
swedish meatball

Darkness

I'm having a hard time with the darkness this year. I'm not sure why, since I have lived here for over 8 years. But this year it seems to be dragging me down. I get up in the dark it is gray, wet, all day and dark again by 3pm.
I have my Chirstmas lights in the window and I'm listening to Chirstmas music. Decorating and candles but for some reason I'm feeling alittle more low this year early too than most.

Any cures for the darkness blues, other than drinking myself silly.
Thanks for any advice.
cat

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
LindaC
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

Exercise.

I know it's a horrible thing to say to someone, but it is effective.

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:31 pm 
Jaenelle
stor stark
stor stark

oh! You still have sun at 3! luxury! Sun set before 1.30pm here today! *srun* But yea, get out, meet up with friends, do things. You CAN go out and walk and stuff even when it's dark. I find it helps. It may feel like night, but it isn't really. Perhaps go into town and do some shopping? That's always fun. Even if it's just window shopping!

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:16 pm 
Daniel
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

I hear light therapy is good. Smile

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:01 pm 
montchan
stor stark
stor stark

Like Linda said - exercise.
And full spectrum light bulbs.

Hang in there! 20 more days and it will start getting better!

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:42 pm 
GregK
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

If you are in the Göteborg area, you can check out Old's Beach:

http://oldsbeach.se/

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
columbia
Nybörjare

This news story from the Boston Globe should cheer anyone up:

http://tinyurl.com/ytw4ns

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:35 am 
Fairydust
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

quote:
Originally posted by columbia:

How the heck would that cheer up any but the raving anti-gay rights lunatics? Sad The retards in the 'justice system' strike again.

Unless you meant: "Cheer up, at least that kind of crap is much less likely here" in which case, I happily agree!

FatCat... one thing my hubby and I do every winter that really does help is to increase our Vitamin D intake. Sounds strange, but it really does seem to help with the blues in the winter time. Hope you are feeling better soon. Sad

--Michele

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:05 am 
sunshine_girl
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

Increase your vitamin D intake like Michele suggested. And light therapy works wonders. In Stockholm there's Igloo cafe in Hornstull. They have light therapy.

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
GregK
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

quote:
Originally posted by Fairydust:
quote:
Originally posted by columbia:

How the heck would that cheer up any but the raving anti-gay rights lunatics? Sad The retards in the 'justice system' strike again.

Unless you meant: "Cheer up, at least that kind of crap is much less likely here" in which case, I happily agree!

--Michele

Michele, if same sex marriage is not recognized in Rhode Island, by the State's legislature, how can a divorce from an unrecognized marraige be recognized?

So you're saying that if someone believes in retaining the concept of traditional marriage, and not requiring its recognition (to include filing for "divorce" when another state permits same sex marraige them they must be a "raving anti-gay right lunatic?

That's hardly the way to persuade people to your side of the argument. Tell them that if you don't agee with a radical change in a fundamental basis of human society, marriage and family, then they are "raving lunatics".

The R.I. Supreme Court ruling had it EXACTLY RIGHT. Its not the judicial branch's role to make policy or write state law.

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
FatCat
swedish meatball
swedish meatball

Thanks for all the tips and I do get exercise but of course not the sweating type. I have a three story house and I'm up and down stairs all day long. I do walk almost every day at least 6 blocks or more.
I will go out and buy some vitamin D today. Smile
I think I just need a vacation, havent had a good one in over two year, unless you call a three day to Helsinki.
Going home for Chirstmas, maybe that is the answer.
Thanks again.
cat

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Mimsie
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

quote:
Originally posted by GregK:
The R.I. Supreme Court ruling had it EXACTLY RIGHT. Its not the judicial branch's role to make policy or write state law.
Exactly! Don't see what there for anyone to be upset about - law is law.

Also, what the heck did posting that article to begin with have to do with the darkness at all? Rolling Eyes

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:33 pm 
FatCat
swedish meatball
swedish meatball

Also, what the heck did posting that article to begin with have to do with the darkness at all? Rolling Eyes[/quote]

I was about to ask the same thing. I see so many threads going off the path of the topic of the originial subject.
Oh well, gotta go take my vitamins now and maybe go to be early for a change.

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:19 pm 
Neitha
stor stark
stor stark

I took a look at the link to oldsbeach in Göteborg---that's hilarious! Has anyone done it?

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:43 am 
GregK
Amerikanska medborgare
Amerikanska medborgare

quote:
Originally posted by Neitha:
I took a look at the link to oldsbeach in Göteborg---that's hilarious! Has anyone done it?

Yes, I have... which is how i knew about it.

The CEO of the company i work for invited us all (about 25 or so) out to it on the companies dime almost a year ago.

It's basically half sandbox (but smaller than i expected), with a giant floor to celing wall mural of what looks like Fiji or something (or maybe a beach in Thailand), lots of beach chairs, sounds of gentle ocean surf, and a DJ spinning beach and calypso tunes. The other half is sorta restaurant and quasi-pub serving drinks with umbrellas and cold beer with banana trees and other stuff to make you feel you are a long way from Sweden.

Oh and of course lots and lots of bright lights which alternate between a feeling of bright sun and dim a bit to simulate a passing cloud. There are also fans to keep it a comfortable temp.

There's also a decent menu of food from what was claimed as Carribbean cuisine. Good but not really what i recall was on offer on my visit to St Thomas some 20 years ago.

But then i was more focused on the rum in the V.I. than the food. Wink

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:40 am 
Leif
Nybörjare

i sleep all day

i know iam just saying this because i havent experianced "The Darkness" fyi rick james nickname to eddi and charlie murphy lol but i sleep all day and i love the dark i always have my bilnds shut and iam playing xbox or on the comp i prefer the dark but maybe if i moved to sweden i would miss the light i always appriciate what i dont have and i dont miss what i do have lol

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules:
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Page Generation: 0.14 Seconds